Personal Identity

Who are you?

This is a question that can be answered in various ways. Should my identity be defined with one single role? I don't think so. This is something that has been on my mind and that I feel is very important.

I don't want to live my life solely focused on one single role that I lose sight of other aspects of my life that will bring me fulfillment. I know that this will be very difficult, especially as life goes on and more responsibilities will be given to me.

Many of you might have heard some women say "I'm just a mom." I really dislike this statement. Nobody is JUST a mom or just one single anything period. If you think about it, we take on many different roles and have several things that we enjoy to do and that occupy our time and effort. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a mother, but that is not all that I am and I will not drown myself in this role and forget about everything else. As important as raising my children is to me, I want to make sure that there is a balance in my life. That I have some time dedicated to progression in other areas of my life. I need to keep in mind my talents and keep learning and growing.

Again I think balance is key. How will I find that balance? Easier said than done. But as long as I keep in mind that I was born to do many great things, I will be encouraged to look beyond being "just a mom."


Comments

  1. Wonderful thoughts, Jessica. I agree that we can get so caught up in a singular aspect of our lives that we forget how to function in the others, or even forget we have other things we should do. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. I really enjoy reading other people's thoughts on things.
    I agree. I think part of why we came down here was to discover our own individual purpose, potential, and way. I think Motherhood helps us a lot in that aspect and it is an amazing teacher. But I think you're right, there should be balance. We need to have time for our personal development or we are not fit to be good mothers. I think it is important to always keep learning and growing personally and develop our minds, and talents. Motherhood is amazingly fulfilling, but like the scripture says "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven" I think when we always have the Lord in our hearts, anything we do, we will be pleasing Him because we will be doing good.
    I've found relying on the Spirit is so important to knowing what I need to do at what moment and how to find that balance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hola!

2 years ago