Get Connected Fall 2011

This past week was amazing. Roberto and I, along with Samuel, volunteered in the Get Connected program at BYU-Idaho. It was an experience to remember. Here's how it all started.

So Roberto is the one who is in school(BYU-I) now, which is why we were able to participate in Get Connected. Last semester he asked me if I would be interested in doing it with him, since he was married, the only way he could participate was if I was his partner. So I think, yeah that would be so fun, why not?

The semester passes on and we are assigned during the semester to be recruitment reps. I start thinking-is this what we signed up for? to walk around and tell other married students about get connected? what about the whole orientation thing?

The semester ended and the 7 week break came. We get another e-mail talking about get connected spirit conference which would start September 6th. Then I think-oh so that's the orientation part, the fun part. And THEN I start thinking about Samuel, and the second thoughts all poor in. Is this going to be possible? What was I thinking? How is this going to work out? blah blah blah blah

So the day comes and we go, Samuel, stroller, and diaper bag packed with everything possible. The first two days are training on campus. We went to various activities and meetings throughout the day. The day started at 8:00 am and went til 6:00 since Roberto had church meetings to go to, if not we could have been there til 8( but our group leaders were like-whenever you guys need to go, you can go home). So Tuesday and Wednesday we stayed 'til dinner time.

Then Thursday was the actual thing, when students came and we did our jobs. We were assigned as I-Reps, who greet the students at the complexes and register them for Get Connected. We also ushered at events, things like that. Most of Thursday morning was spent helping the girls at Birchwood move in all their stuff. We did get to register a few girls, there weren't that many new students at this complex.

Friday we were given the most simple assignments, which I'm SURE were done on purpose since we brought our kid along to every single thing we did. We helped set up lunch that day and then we had the option of attending the new student talent show that night if we wanted to-which we missed for a friend's b-day party.

Saturday I ushered at the Women's Conference at the I-Center while Roberto watched Samuel. Then around 8 we were able to do I-Night, YES, with Samuel too. So we were put in charge of overseeing the Kirby Heybourne show. It was AWESOME to be there. Kirby even came up to me and said, I quote, "You look great."

I'm sure there are a lot of you thinking, why didn't you just get a sitter for all of this?
The biggest thing was that it was SO much time to watch our baby which is still being nursed and too much time away from me who is nursing the baby. That was probably my #1 reason for not leaving him with someone else. And really, it was just FINE. Everyone loved seeing a baby there and kept telling us how cool we were for doing it with him.

I just want to take this time to thank Samuel. Samuelito, thank you for being such a mellow baby. It all went so much better than I anticipated.

Moral of this story? It is very possible to do things such as this, even after you have children. YES there is so much more planning and work involved, but is it worth it? YES YES and YES! I have never felt the spirit of service more, it was wonderful.

And now for the evidence.







Comments

  1. how awesome! i wish brett and i were able to do that while we were in rexburg. whenever brett says we should get out of the house and go somewhere i always freak out because of how everton would take it. then everton ends up enjoying himself and brett and i enjoy ourselves and i end up being really happy that we went out. we just need to always remember to bring extra diapers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great family! :) I appreciate that you point out that things really are still possible after having children. Just, as you said, takes more planning. But so worth it. Maybe even more because of the extra effort you put into it? Anyway, fun pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hola!

2 years ago