No, that's not for me.

A little over a week ago I was invited to go to a glamor workshop with a friend who is a beauty consultant with Mary Kay. At 5:30 p.m. I went over to her place and waited while she got ready to go. She was actually waiting for a customer to show up so she could get some eye shadow to her right before we left for our meeting.


As I watched her roll out her Mary Kay travel bags full of cosmetics and help her customer, I thought, "Wow, that could never be me."


She helped the customer and a little while later we were on our way to this workshop. I entered the building named "The Pink Studio". I laughed a little to myself and in we went. The place was full of women, dressed up, looking very happy to be there. I took my seat and the class began.

I had been to a Mary Kay function before, just not one as elaborate as this one. We did skin care, foundation and makeup all in one sitting. To be honest with you, makeup wasn't a part of my everyday regimen. In fact, I showed up to this thing with not a bit of makeup on my face. Not that I didn't care for it, I just didn't feel like I absolutely needed to have it on my face all the time. So once it was all done and I was asked to look in the mirror, I really liked what I saw, it just overwhelmed me because I felt it was a bit too dramatic. Another consultant asked if I could do this look everyday and I said "No, this is more of a special occasion look for me." She then said something like this "Well, I like to think that I should look my best everyday, no matter what the occasion."

That's where it all started. The wheels in my head started turning and I was giving it a little more thought than I had ever did. I grew up thinking that makeup was a special time thing, because I was raised in a home where my mother did exactly that. Half the time I didn't bother putting on makeup because of all the extra work that would be waiting for me at the end of the day when I would have to take it off. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't touch my face at all or else it would ruin all the stuff that was on there. Then there was the whole confidence thing. I thought that if I depended on makeup to feel good about myself or if I felt like I couldn't leave the house without some on my face, that that meant I didn't feel that great about how I looked naturally.

I started to realize that I had been WAY too judgmental of women who in my eyes cared way too much about their appearance, you know, the ones that are labeled "high maintenance" because they actually take time to put makeup on or just look really nice ALL of the time. How horrible of me, not good.

Later on after the initial meeting was over, I was invited to listen to the Mary Kay business opportunity. The Sales Director started talking about how wonderful of an opportunity this business was for women because it offers so many things for them. The part that stood out to me the most was when she talked about personal growth and achievement. Prior to this meeting, I had given plenty of thought as to what else I would dedicate my time to while I was raising my children, because I knew it was important for me to keep growing and learning in other areas of my life. I got that feeling. That feeling like this was an opportunity for me to grow, for me to get out of my comfort zone and become a better version of myself.

But you know what really got me into this? The fact that when I looked at the Sales Director and how glamorous and confident she was, I started thinking "Well, why couldn't that be me?"

And now, a week later, I am an Independent Beauty Consultant with Mary Kay, Inc.
Here's to a new adventure!

Comments

  1. Alright, go Jessica! You sell that stuff!

    I had the same realization when I was about 19. I read an article about Raquel Welch and she said something to the effect of, "I don't have to be done to the nines every day, but I expect to be prepared for the day and looking my best--and makeup is part of that." Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I would never be brave enough to do Mary Kay (sales aren't my thing) but you are seriously going to be awesome at it.

    I've totally had the same realization. I didn't start wearing makeup until I was 18 and I moved in with my aunt. At first, wearing makeup made me uneasy, mostly because I was worried I would do it wrong and look like a clown. But I started to realize that I felt better about myself when I wore makeup. Then one day my aunt and I were talking about being married and wearing makeup. She said that after she had first got married she kinda let herself go a little. Didn't so hair or makeup every day. Then her sister (another of my aunts) was talking to her and said, in effect, "yeah, I've already got my man but I don't see any reason why I shouldn't keep looking nice for him." Of course, everyone is different, but putting a bit of makeup on helps me feel like I'm making an effort on myself, like I'm taking care of myself. I feel better about myself when I do it (same with contacts, but you already know that). Anyway, this is a long comment. Sorry bout that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hola!

2 years ago