Summer Reading at the Library

Lately I have been going to the Madison public library to check out books and movies. Well I went there yesterday to return some things and there was a booth that said Summer Reading on it. I see a bunch of kids in line waiting to sign up and then I notice that there is a line for adults to sign up as well. So I go up to the booth and ask the lady "What's this for?" She said "summer reading". I said "What's that?" She said "Oh you can read books and get prizes. Are you over 18?" HA. Of course she would say that. I say "Yeah". So I stand there for a couple of seconds and I think about it. I think- Why not? I've been getting into reading lately and it could be fun. So I signed up.

The lady gives me a free bookmark, a lae and a little booklet that explains the whole thing. I also get a shot at winning a CD of some kind. I think to myself-yay for free stuff. It turns out that for every 10 pages you read it equals 1 "degree" (as in latitude and longitude, the theme of the whole thing is traveling). In the booklet you keep track of how many pages you've read from each book you read and then they transfer over to "degrees". There are also activities that you can do to earn more "degrees" and the library does an event every week from that list to help you earn degrees. Every time you reach a certain amount, you go to the library and they stamp your "passport" and then you get another bookmark and some free gift. Talk about bribing your kids into reading once school is out. Not a bad idea.





So we'll see if I actually keep up with it. I'm glad I've actually been involved in community things. There are plenty of things to do out there that are FREE. You just need to look.



P.S. Do you know what library my picture is from?

Comments

  1. Beauty and the Beast...I think.
    What a fun summer program for helping kids to continue reading all throughout the summer. I wish I was there to sign up and enjoy reading tons of good book and get free stuff. Gotta love the free stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Beauty and the Beast. You can see them sitting in front of the fireplace--but I knew even before that because I LOVE that scene. And because I'm just ultra smart. ;) We have a summer reading program here in Livermore too. I did it last year with Madie--they have it for pre-readers, so basically I read to her so many times a week, kept track, and then got a little thing at the end. (Although I was gone when they did the awards, so I didn't get it.) Kristen, I would be very surprised if your local library didn't have something like it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hola!

2 years ago