Thoughts on education and what's coming up

So the day finally came and now I sit here done with all the classes I have ever taken at BYU-Idaho. This is kinda unreal, I don't think I realize how big of a change this is going to be.

Now I'm not done with everything yet, I still have to student teach but that's different. I no longer will be the student, I will be the teacher and that will be the last thing I am graded on before I get that beautiful diploma that certifies that I have done it!

I am so grateful that I was able to go to BYU-Idaho, it truly has been such a huge blessing. I have learned so much and still the best is yet to come! I know that student teaching will truly show me a little more of what it feels like to be a teacher.

I wonder what it will be like to be in the last months of my pregnancy through this whole experience. I don't have an exact calendar, but if i'm done when I think i will be, I will be 37 weeks along when its all over. With the baby being due around 2-3 weeks later. haha.

Now I know that life experiences are different for everyone, but its still nice to hear what people have to say. I know that some of you readers out there have done student teaching, maybe not while being pregnant, but still, you've been a student teacher and you've been pregnant. What advice do you have for me? I want to do such a good job, but I don't want to have so much stress that it affects the baby. Any tips or suggestions would be great! :)

Anyway, the next couple of days we will be packing up and cleaning so that we can move come Tuesday. And then we will be in salt lake city with our families. During this time I plan on having as much relaxation and fun as possible until student teaching begins. YAY!




Comments

  1. Ah! I'm so so excited for you!! What a fun time! I loved getting to that point where I knew I wouldn't have any more classes left and only student teaching! Doesn't seem that long ago, but it's been two years since I've been where you're at!
    Well, I didn't do both at the same time, but I have done both! My first suggestion is to be on the same page as your cooperating teacher [CT]. Your CT can make a big difference in how your experience pans out. You'll want him/her to know your situation and the two of you to work something out. If your CT does things the way the handbook says to do them {mine didn't so I guess it just depends}, you're supposed to gradually stop teaching toward the end, so it shouldn't be too bad. My second suggestion: prepare a lot ahead of time. If you have units that can be prepared ahead of time, do them. If you have to grade papers, do it during lunch, don't stay up late at night doing it. My biggest thing this pregnancy has been being tired, especially in the third tri. Which leads to my third, and final, suggestion - get lots of rest and drink lots of fluids. You're likely to be on your feet a lot during the day so you'll want to be sure to drink a lot. It always helped me with swelling, fatigue, and general feeling good. And if you're well rested, you're more likely to make it through your day without wanting to wring some kid's neck.
    You're going to be such an awesome teacher! Keep us updated! I really want to hear how things work out for you and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN Jessica! Well I think that Jessica H. pretty much covered it! :o)
    Congrats on finishing at BYUI...it really is a GREAT place. Good luck with student teaching and being pregnant at the same time, I am sure you will do great. Just follow Jessica's advice and I am sure you will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teachers kept telling me in my classes that I couldn't cry during student teaching until I was out of the room. I kept thinking, "Man, is it really that bad? Am I going to be able to control myself?" Words of comfort: don't sweat it. I never at any time broke into tears, before or after or during school or student teaching. I never flew into a rage at one of the students. I think for the most part, that's pretty limited. Of course, you will be pregnant, so... but really I'd be surprised if you're that kind of pregnant lady. It sounds a lot like your pregnancy is going the same as mine--not too bad. :) Lucky us!

    My biggest suggestion would be pray about your lesson plans. Every day. It really helped me to explain things I struggled to explain, understand things I struggled to understand, and teach things I thought might be boring in a way that even most of the 17-year olds in my classes could put up with. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was pregnant and did my student teaching at the same time, so I think I am the expert here- haha just kidding. Everyone has been giving really great advice. I just have to second Jessica on making sure you are always communicating with your CT. Be optimistic, but let her know what questions you have, what you're feeling, and what your plans are. My philosophy was that I can be whatever kind of teacher I want to be after this experience, but during the experience your main goal is to get a good reccomendation, so when she says "jump", you ask "how high." Don't compromise your values of course, but make sure she knows why you do what you do. This definitely also means being open about your pregnancy to your CT- she/he will understand. You're going to be great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hola!

2 years ago