Tantrum!

Our little boy Samuel is a mellow child; most of the time, he just goes with the flow. Now that he is 21 months old and trying his best to communicate with us, it is not uncommon for him to become frustrated, which brings me to my story.

It was a beautiful sunny day, the sky was blue, filled with clouds and there was a crisp fall breeze. We were at a park with a few friends from the neighborhood. Samuel was at the playground and spotted another child's tricycle (the kind that has an extension of a handle bar for an adult to push it). Having an obsession with pushing things around, Samuel could not help himself and ran towards it.  I received the "OK" from the mother of the child to which the tricycle belonged to and I began to follow Samuel.

Time passed on and Samuel continued to play with this toy until the time came to return home for dinner. We had walked to the park with a friend who lives in the same complex and has a toddler of her own. I had agreed with her to walk home together, so I proceeded to get our things to go.

I call after Samuel and he ignores me. Shortly after, the child who owns the tricycle understands that it's time for us to leave and he can have his toy back, so he takes it. Samuel screams. I run towards him, grab him and walk towards the stroller. My friend and her daughter are ready to go. I put Samuel in the stroller. The screaming continues, he kicks, he twists and turns, trying his best to not get strapped in. This process lasts for about a minute or two. I think out loud and say "Man, you really don't want to go, I have never seen you try this hard before."  Surprisingly, instead me losing it, I am kind of amused. I come to the conclusion that I am just not big enough to do this, so I stop.

With Samuel still in the stroller, I decide to just start pushing the stroller and walk. He was still crying and screaming, but at least he was in the stroller and he didn't try jumping out. So I continued to walk and we made it home just fine. That my friends was the story of the first most memorable temper tantrum Samuel has had.

He's growing up so fast... Te quiero mi Samuelito

Comments

  1. oh my gosh he's 21 months already?!?!?!?! ehhh i'm not looking forward to that time of tantrum. good luck girl! they grow out of it right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I hate tantrums. Those are the kind of tantrums Livie has every day. Hopefully Samuel stays a primarily mellow child and doesn't do that too much. And way to keep your cool! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hola!

2 years ago