The bunny that never existed

Easter is this weekend.

Now that I am grown up and with a family of my own, it is fun to think about holidays and traditions that we will establish in our family. I have been thinking a lot about how I was raised and what traditions I experienced.

I don't know if it's because my parents are from Hispanic countries and they weren't raised that way, but I grew up with very little traditions that had to do with holidays. The only real thing I remember doing is having Thanksgiving dinner together as a family and for Christmas we would always have the big dinner on Christmas Eve and open some presents at mid night and then just lounge around on Christmas day.

Easter was not a big 'to-do'. There was no bunny, no egg hunts, no baskets full of gifts, nothing. It was like any other Sunday. My dad told us to think about Christ and how he was resurrected. (You know, the REAL reason behind the holiday) To be honest, I didn't even realize that we were 'supposed' to be getting something. I remember going to school while in junior high and hearing a girl talk about how the "Easter bunny" was bringing her a hair straightener. I was like, are you serious? It seemed so juvenile.

Looking back on it now, it makes me laugh. I find it really funny. The truth is, I never asked my parents, "where's my basket?" I just figured that we don't do that kind of thing and that was it. I don't even care that I never got any such things. I really didn't see the point of it.

On Saturday, I am going to fill some plastic eggs with candy and let Samuel look for them at my mom's backyard and then eat the candy. That's it. I like candy, so that's the point of doing that . Ha Ha. We'll be going to my parent's house to share dinner with them on Sunday and I'll be bringing dessert and whatever else she wants me to make.

I'll do the egg hunt thing with Samuel until he out grows it. Dying eggs looks fun and pretty to look at, until I'm done and then I'm like, what do I do with these colored, ugly looking hard boiled eggs? Because I really don't feel like eating them when they look like that. Ha Ha! Oh, holidays are funny.

Maybe I'll be able to come up with things that we can do that actually mean something. I think I have something to Google now. Well, how ever you celebrate this Easter, have a happy one! :)


Comments

  1. i am all about the candy for Easter. i love eating hard boiled eggs so dyeing them then eating them aren't a problem for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Jessica. The only time I got an Easter basket was when I was 14 and living temporarily with some family friends. I saw it on the floor by my bed and was shocked. SHOCKED. I Hardly knew what to do! Haha! My family has lots and lots of traditions, and Easter was always celebrated, but we never received anything for it. We had a big dinner with family and/or friends and the week leading up to it we would join in community egg hunts, etc. and dye eggs, but we never got baskets.

    Certain members of my husband's family think I'm a little stingy for not really wanting to give Madie a basket but she gets a ton of crap from everyone else on the planet the rest of the year anyway, so I feel like not giving her something on Easter is the least I can do. Besides, she really just likes dying eggs and hanging them on trees and looking for eggs in the yard. (We blow our eggs, so we can hang them up. I agree with the eating dyed eggs--I like hard boiled eggs, but eating dyed ones grosses me out.)

    Wow, this comment is getting really long. Anyway, happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of the nontradition tradition on Easter, when we celebrate something so sacred! I think we might adopt that next year. If only it would be so easy to do away with Santa ;) We have scaled that down to just a stocking, but it's so hard to get past the focus of gifts that so overwhelms the meaning of the season!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hola!

2 years ago